First Prim Dolls - Ozzie and Harriet

I've been admiring primitive dolls of  late and wanted to give them a try myself.  This is my first attempt at some cats as a gift for a friend.  Meet Ozzie and Harriet inspired by her own cats.

I created a simple two-piece pattern on notebook paper and grunged up some plain white muslin for the bodies using a tea stain and then acrylic paint.  After this, I rubbed cinnamon into the fabric.  I used pillow stuffing but you can use old fabric if you like.  These are smallish at about 6 inches tall.  I wanted her to be able to tuck them in a bowl or anywhere else for decorative effect.


The bodies were sewn together with a machine except for the bottom where I used embroidery floss.  The tails are completely sewn together and to the bodies with the floss by hand.  This added to the grunge factor.  Here's a closeup of the faces and fabric.  I recycled some buttons, scraps of fabric and embroidery floss.

Ozzie

Harriet


I love the idea of prims—not being too fussy that is and the result still being adorable.  It's a great way to use up fabric scraps and recycle odds and ends like the buttons.  My friend was very happy with her gift and I even made a set for myself after my Merlin and Cally cats.  If you don't think you can be your own doll designer, prims are a good way to build up your confidence and start creating from your imagination.

Comments