Vintage Paper Crane Vertical Garland

This was fun.  I've been practicing origami and even though I've been using traditional paper, I decided to recycle some paper taken from a vintage copy of Andersen's Fairy Tales.  This book was a library sale find.  It wasn't in good shape at all and was surely on the way to the trash if someone hadn't bought it.  I've been using it in collages until now.

Paper crane made with upcycled vintage paper meant for the trash heap.

The only problem was that the paper was fragile and it had an uneven texture which made uniformity a problem.  I decided to just go for it and let the imperfection add to the sort of shabby retro look I wanted.

I was going for a 70s retro feel.

There are six cranes on this garland which I strung on green wool yarn.  I added two coats of varnish because of the age of the paper.  The cranes are held in place with wood beads and knots.  It's about 5 feet long and has wooden beads at the top and bottom.

Heavier large bead +2 at bottom

I've done about 25 of these cranes.  I plan on making at least one more garland with a different color yarn and several ornaments.  See the full listing at Etsy.

Related:


Comments